sally header2

Sunday, February 19, 2006

averages

So to do some data analysis I have to average numbers. Not too bad right? Except there is no easy way to average numbers in Excel (besides doing a formula and stuff but then you have to redo it every time and it is more work than it is worth). I did 64 of them Yesterday but I have to do 192 more. I wish it were averageing 192 numbers but it is averageing 4 numbers 192 times. Yikes. My mom was a high school math teacher- how did I miss the math gene???

Tonight is a good knitting night- A mini-stich and bitch session!

I am seriously ready for spring break. I am not going anywhere but I just want a day or two to catch up on everything! V is going to go collecting so it will be me and the pets here at the house which will hopefully make me more productive than normal. Hopefully it will be relaxing too...perhaps another mini-week of fun?? Maybe take a day off to go skiing? Hiking?
It is pretty crazy to think of the actual lack of vacation time for normal grad students....I took a trip after graduating from my Masters but besides that the only travel has either been to see family for holidays or work related. Now, I love work related travel- don't get me wrong- I love conferences and field work but that is a bit more stressful than regular vacation travel. Plus I want to go somewhere with V! Besides holiday travel and a weekend trip to Fort Worth when we were in Texas, we haven't really traveled together (and with him starting school next fall- good luck with that!). At least this summer I will get to get out on the road a bit on my way to field work. For now, I must get off of Expedia and get to those averages...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not import the excel file into SPSS, SAS or R (whatever prog you use), then calc. the averages? I don't like excel. i think their regression equation is quircky. it does always reproduce the same results i get in SPSS or SAS.

sorry i have no real content about the post. i'm on spring break and i was supposed to re-run ALOT of analyses and read a few books. alas, i've been too sick to walk. plus today i had to come into school to copy the midterm for my kids.

cheers,
mdk

3:53 PM  
Blogger hamster_grrl said...

First my Excel 2 cents:

I have to do means all the time, and usually all the cells I have to average are in their own rows or columns, so I only have to do the formula once, then I can pull down/copy it across all the rows or cells automatically. It's the best way I've come across.

or you can cut and paste (special) the formula.

Other stuff:

Is it Spring Break already? The students aren't even back for classes yet here, they start 1st week of March! I can't believe it's almost March!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Sneks said...

For the excel stuff -- stop by my office -- I am sure there is an easy way to do your averages!

For spring break -- I don't think you can be looking forward to spring break as much as I am. We will have a week of fun. Or at least a day of fun, as I really need to get a lot of work done that week. Sad that I look forward to spring break to do work. But seriously -- a whole day of fun is needed! Maybe we'll finally break out the Kelly Clarkson and sequined headbands!

8:06 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

re: Excel. This is one of the reasons why G a t e s is the devil.

Thanks again for last night. I had a great time!

:-D

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home