sally header2

Monday, May 05, 2008

Good thoughts please!

Please send your best thoughts our way as V, one of my labmates and two other friends embark on their qualifying exams today! There are written exams then an oral. The way the exam is set up, it is not your typical comprehensive exam (that comes later). For most, it has very little to do with your research or area of study at all. The exam is based upon a number of pre-approved courses that you take. We are a diverse department so those courses are quite diverse as well. While all the courses are interesting, there is a big leap between interesting and qualifying exam intense studying. V has done a much better job of it that I did. He seems to have far more persistence for sticking with those 'interesting' courses. About 1/3 of my studying time was devoted to looking for industry jobs that I got apply for after I failed the exams. Not allowing for any lulls in excitement, I also had the closing on my house the day before my orals. Luckily I passed and my claim-to-fame story (my advisor makes sure we each have one) is that as soon as the committee came out of the room to congratulate me, I collapsed to the floor. The relief of seeing smiling faces and release of stress culminated in having to sit down in the hallway.
Any other good exam passing stories out there?

I have no doubt V will pass with ease but please wish him (and all the others) luck anyway!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger ScienceGirl said...

{{{V and qual taking friends}}}

11:37 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Sending good vibes to V...

After my quals, I went to the bathroom and cried a little. Then, practiced this little speech to tell Advisor that I was sorry about failing, etc. He came out of the room to find me outside looking petrified. When he shook my hand and told me that I passed, I looked at him and said, "Are you sure? Were you at the same exam I was?"

3:05 PM  
Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

Good luck to all!

I went on vacation the day after mine. It was great!

10:54 PM  
Blogger botanybabe said...

he will be brilliant...b/c he is! wish him luck for me :)

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home