sally header2

Friday, April 11, 2008

Oops

I gave my special talk this morning. It went well. There were some technical difficulties but 3 computers and 2 Windows updates later, they were sorted out just in time to start the session. Mine was the second talk so I launched into it and was feeling good. It was early but early enough that people were still awake. I was finding friends in the audience of 200+ and my nerves quickly went away. My video was awesome. I turned back to the audience to describe my field site, which is big. I absentmindedly gestured to emphasize its size. My arm knocked over my water glass and it went FLYING. It seemed like it was in slow motion but it tumbled, water was everywhere and then the glass smashed all over the floor.
I didn't curse or laugh but then was all over the place with my methods. Forgot my stats details (but went back to them after graphs were up...ugh). Finished the talk in good time while somebody cleaned up the glass at my feet.

At least people remember me....even if it is for all the wrong reasons.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, that sucks. Glad the talk went well overall, though!

1:58 AM  
Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

Since the talk went well, I'm inclined to think spilling the water is funny. It sounds like you handled it really well -- people will remember you in a good way. :)

12:48 PM  
Blogger BrightBoy said...

See, it's lucky that I didn't do that, because I probably would have laughed myself off the stage.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home