sally header2

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Presentation date

Writing date is still going strong- we even recruited a new writer! Sneks takes the prize with a big 900 (!!!) words in just over 3 hours! It was discussion too- not just methods or something easy!
I cheated on the writing portion today and mostly worked on a presentation. I then gave said presentation at my departments informal student seminar series this afternoon. The talk was on a side project that was started 2+ years ago. We are trying to write it up but the results aren't great. It could have about 30 more experiments and still seem incomplete. The topic is relatively new and what work has been done produces complex (sometimes conflicting) results. The audience had a lot of questions and I had very few answers. Most of the questions were of the 'Why don't you do X?' or Y? or J? variety. Well. To tell the truth, I had to stop doing experiments on this project because I didn't want it to be my dissertation. But between the cold I'm still fighting, my recent decision to minimize side projects from here on out and the ambiguity of the results I am just happy it is over! The paper will be to coauthors by the weeks end I can move on with my life! Moving things along feels so nice...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger hgg said...

I really like the writing date idea. I'll try to come up with somehting similar in my new job. In my current job we have lots of workshops for data analyses and that's pretty amazing too.

3:08 AM  
Blogger DancingFish said...

Sounds like a good idea. We used to have very informal department seminars to discuss data and experimental design but they have been replaced with seminars desgned to give us practice giving 'professional' talks.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home