sally header2

Friday, February 29, 2008

Writing date review

The writing date only lasted 3 hours, but it took me 3 days to get around to blogging the update about it. Typical.

The best news? It was successful! We met, got caffeinated and started writing. Each of us wrote around 400 words on our projects. I think the key was the environment combined with the goal. That makes sense, it was there in the Chronicle article laid out for us. It is comfortable to write in your office or at home surrounded by books, papers, and other resources. Without those things, there is nothing left to do but write. To be perfectly honest, I didn't really enjoy the writing without all of those things. I like getting sidetracked and following a thought through a trail of 5 pdfs. But it worked and the old Scmiance paper grew and grew. I also got distracted by email for a few minutes but the furious typing by my friends quickly got me back on track. Strength in numbers!
We are going to do this regularly so it will be interesting to see if it becomes more comfortable and/or stays as productive. The only difference will be where we sit. The back corner, near the window seemed great but it was frickin freezing, Mr. Biglesworth.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Laurie K said...

good to hear your writing date was successful! woo!

This is kinda why I like to go to the library. Even though they are all strangers around me, the furious typing makes me feel guilty when I start spending too much time on blogs or email.

11:51 AM  
Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

meoow. :) I say this all the time and no one ever seems to get it...

The writing group sounds very cool. please continue to tell us about it!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Wayfarer Scientista said...

woo-hoo! I definately find a change of place can help.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Mad Hatter said...

What a great idea! I've often missed the group study sessions I used to have in college and grad school, so I might have to give this a try sometime. Although I tend to be grouchy when I'm writing, so perhaps it wouldn't be fair to inflict my writing self on anyone else....

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home