sally header2

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Red dress

I went shopping yesterday. The goal was to buy a pair of black, everyday shoes, that can easily be worn with jeans or a skirt. These elusive shoes would replace the $4 clearance, Target loafers I bought 3 years ago. Armed with a credit-gift-card from house sitting and a department store credit from a returned Xmas present, I was determined. I bought no such shoes. I almost bought some black, 2 inch heeled, peep-toe, T-straps. Naturalizer is a good brand* and they were 75% off. In the end, I passed then up for being too narrow.
I am giving talks at two conferences in the next two months. With no new shoes, I went along my way looking for a new top for these conferences. I didn't find any. Everything was too summery already.

Which brings us to the red dress.
I found a knee-length, faux-wrap dress with a collar and a tie at the waist. It is a heavier cotton that reminds me of stain-resistant khakis. Bright red.

So, the question is this- Is it too much to wear a bright red dress for a conference presentation? The conference is small and runs the gamut from jeans to suits. I plan on toning it down with a black cardigan. I would have no problem wearing this dress to teach in, but still....red dress? Appropriate?




*Right?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

I think a red dress at a conference would totally rock.

9:19 PM  
Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

As long as you feel comfortable, you'll look great. If you feel weird in it, it'll show.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. If you feel good in it, definitely wear it!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I'd seriously add black fishnets and super conservative loafers to that red dress and black cardi and call yourself fabulous.

Sophia Loren (and who, other than Audrey Hepburn, ever looked better than Sophia Loren) once wrote that one should either underdress (jeans and a crisp white shirt, fabu accessories) or overdress (perfect red dress) from the expected, just to be a wee bit more memorable.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Seeking Solace said...

I would totally wear red. It commands attention, something you want at a conference.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Laurie K said...

definitely wear it!

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it bright red or red like your sofa?.............Mom

10:33 AM  
Blogger Mad Hatter said...

Go for it! It'll be such a nice change from the usual attire.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home