sally header2

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Out of gas

I am back home for another 20 hours. Here are some more travel bullets...

  • The conference was good. Tons of great work presented and lots of ideas to ponder! There were lots of white background ppts. I like the growing populatity of the black background. Also, typos piss me off.
  • I got to meet my old advisor's baby for the first time. She is so ridiculously cute it is just, well, ridiculous.
  • I put in my requisite time drinking/networking-- even closing down the hotel bar not once, but twice!
  • There are really good contacts and possibly two invited talks on my drive back to PA from those (and other) nights at the bar.
  • I was only really unfortunately socially awkward once- to a very good friend/colleague to my lab. It was right before I had to go talk to MAJOR people and my nerves got the best of me. Sometimes I just shouldn't talk.
  • Apparently, it is about time I started looking for a postdoc. Crap. More on this soon.
  • V came to do some collecting the first few days of our trip. Yay for spending time in the same state as your spouse!
  • Although I am here for 20 hours, I am going into school tomorrow before my flights and long drive back to DO.
  • We are in the home stretch of this research position. In about a month I will start teaching again. This fall I have been given the opportunity to have my own class. I get to write the syllabus, lectures, tests- everything! AND it is an upper level course. It is going to be a lot of work and I might be crazy for trying to pull it off but I think I can do a really good job. That was my big announcement.
  • Here is a kitty that tried to run away when we were gone. She came back the next morning.
  • I am exhausted.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger kate.d. said...

tried to run away?? oh mah gosh! i'm so glad she came back!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm not really a fan of the dark background ppt. They're too hard to read if the room is too light.
Glad the kitty is safe and sound!

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home