sally header2

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Not famous

Well, we heard back and were rejected for our big paper. Our next attempt has 3 times the word limit of this version so I might have to add it to my InaDWriMo project list! The experience has taught me a lot about writing. I try to craft nice paragraphs when I write (ummmm, just not here? Sorry Blogworld...) but it is easier with unlimited space. The combined objectives of saving space, making strong statements and keeping the flow of writing was challenging. Making every word count is something important to abstracts and some grant proposals I've written, but usually there are time constraints involved and it has perhaps, maybe, once happened that the focus was less on making every word count and more on just getting the general point across while remaining under the word limit. Thinking about making each sentence better and each word is optimized will obviously be a great help in trying to make those paragraphs. It has already been useful in my current project (which is better but still causing serious stress) and will continue to be as we revise this paper.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

First of all, I much prefer reading papers that were allowed to breathe a little bit. *Some* journals *coughsciencecough* make things so short that you can hardly figure out what is going on. I've even been in classes where we weren't allowed to use them for presentations since the teacher didn't think there was enough information in them. Also, I can commiserate a little bit about the shortness thing, since I just had to write a proposal for the NSF (2 pages!) and then stretch it into 7 pages for a fake NIH proposal. Sorry this comment is so long, but I'm sure the journal where your paper gets accepted will be waay nicer.

8:32 AM  
Blogger a/k/a Nadine said...

Sorry about the non-acceptance.

9:35 AM  
Blogger DancingFish said...

Thanks Nadine!
Elizabeth- I think you are right. All of our 'friendly reviews' wanted more details and a lot of our story got lost because of lack of details. In the end it will be a better paper. I think I was more excited at the prospect of having it just done with than the whole Science thing!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home