sally header2

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

InaDWriMo

It is almost here! International Academic Writing Month! Originally (aka- yesterday) I put up 4 projects to complete. 1 grant proposal and 3 manuscripts. In the interest of being realistic and also, not killing myself, I have scaled it back a bit. The goal is now 1 grant proposal and 2 manuscripts. Both of these side project-based papers should be on the shorter end of things so 3500 words each is my best estimate.When looking at word counts from papers I have published or submitted there is a range from 2500 to 5000. Despite their short lengths, I am still a bit concerned about my ambition given my lecture and grading schedule. Eh, we'll see! Hopefully the writing will get done in a more timely fashion than my setting goals and putting up word meters...

Tomorrow is major lab invited speaker day and I am looking forward to talking with this awesome scientist. Folks keep telling me to bring up postdocs and open that door, but I am really not sure what I would do if I worked with this guy (you know, because if I ask about it he will just automatically want me in his lab. riiiiiiight.). There is potential to do very similar things to what I have done and do now in a very different study system, I'm just not sure I would learn enough new skillz. Yo.

I am a little loopy tonight. This afternoon, we submitted our paper to a big journal (hint- it rhymes with Schmience). Check back in 48 hours for news of the devastating rejection! Not really (well, really about the probability of rejection- but not really about that news being devastating), it is really cool to think that anything I've worked on could even, ever, possibly go there. Thanks to co-author Sneks, I didn't even wait around for a month to hit "Submit!" It was very surreal and we totally have pictures of ourselves with the 'Thank You' screen!!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Good luck!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Field Notes said...

Good luck :-)
That would be beeeeyooooond cool!

5:10 PM  
Blogger DancingFish said...

Thanks! Right now I am just glad to have it off my desk for a little while. It is fun thinking that it might make it big though. It would be really nice to draw attention to this project.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home