sally header2

Saturday, September 15, 2007

PR

Somehow, sometime in the past I had decided I wanted to be a runner. Someday, somewhere I would like to run a marathon. V and I did an X-mas 5K together right after we started dating and he in the past has been a very serious runner. You can tell with the subtle differences between our running. Mainly- he has the mental fortitude to push himself whereas I slow down to a walk and think of pizza.

One of the greatest running things I did was a half marathon a little over 2 years ago. I finished in about 2 hours and twenty-some minutes which I though was pretty good as my goal was under 2:30. For 5K, I always aim for 10 minute miles. Nice and slow but usually with little time to train and my dislike of running when it is either cold or wet, it is a good goal for me. Last year, V and I ran a X-mas 5K and we finished in about 32 minutes which is just over that 10 minute mile pace (he is the sweetest and runs with me even though he could leave me in the dust).

Since my return from NM, we have been running regularly. I did a lot of running there to get in shape for the wedding and also because there was nothing else to do. When my labmate told me of his roommates' sisters' charity 5K that he was trying to get people to go to I was game. We did a practice run on Thursday to make sure I could handle the distance and we came in at just about a 10 minute mile pace. Since that is my aim, I was more than happy to go off in the cold drizzle today to run and get my free shirt.

In addition to my free shirt though, I actually ran faster than I ever have and ever even thought I could! My time was 26:07! What the heck?!? I put some new songs on my pod last night to encourage a little extra energy (and I was totally thinking about donuts) but that is ridiculous! I am so excited! Even more ridiculous was that I got 2nd place in my age group. Granted it was a small race and there were only 5 or less people IN my age group but still. Our group of runners got 4 trophies! Here is our babygirl* with mine...although it looks like she has claimed it for her own.
* I seem to only put pictures of her up here but it is mostly because Mr. Cranky-Pants-Cat won't play along with my little photo shoots.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger a/k/a Nadine said...

I'm suitably impressed, being of the pizza-thinking walker variety myself.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Sneks said...

YAY! Congrats on the run!

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home