sally header2

Monday, January 09, 2006

Need a laugh?

Well first off you could check Stuff on My Cat. Best. Website. Ever. I myself have been inspired to pile pillows and small stuffed unicorns (which we have due to the BAND the Unicorns-not just cuz we are nuts) onto little Seymour. Alas, that was before the digital camera came into my life.

Or you could post a comment. On what you think the finding of a scientific paper on penguin poo would be. What could you study about penguin poo? Even if you read the paper, make up something else! I will fill you all in on the reference and ACTUAL findings of the paper later this week.

I love science.

2 Comments:

Blogger fillyjonk said...

Penguin poo?

Well, I suppose one could look at the chemical composition and figure out the diet - but the diet of penguins is pretty well known, I think.

I also think that it's possible to do genetic analysis - there are shed intestinal-lining cells in poo, and I seem to remember that someone was doing analysis of zoo-animal doo (for a group of some kind of ungulates that lived in a herd) to try to figure out which of the animals were fathering the majority of the next generation...

Or maybe you could study the impact of the poo on the environment. I remember years ago someone gave a paper at ESA called "Peeing on the Prairie" about the effects of bison urine (he didn't use the real thing; that was too hard to collect. He chemically analyzed some and made mock urine for his experiments).

My only research-related poo experience was counting deer dung as a quick and dirty (hah) way of estimating how many deer were using a particular area to browse in.

9:30 AM  
Blogger kate.d. said...

can i just tell you, stuffonmycat.com made me laugh harder than it had any right to do...especially since i was at work when i opened it up! thanks for sharing, that site is seriously funny.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home