sally header2

Thursday, June 26, 2008

To apply now or later

Some really awesome people in my field are taking applications for postdocs right now. There are about 5 that I would be ok doing and 3 that I would looooovvveeeee to do. The problem is that they are all hiring rightnow and I don't actually have the 'doc' required for the postdoc. Much advice I have been given is to just apply anyway, explain my time frame and hope for the best. Get the name out there.
But do I really want to rush my dissertation to go off and start something- even if it is awesome?
Won't there be awesome people advertising in Dec/Jan or even next year at this time? Why rush it when I could have time to write my diss and get everything submitted and all my other papers out as well. And also enjoy my house/husband/life before moving away again.

I think the very best advice I have gotten is to stop worrying. Anxiety about taking positions I haven't been offered is rather unnecessary. The back and forth, apply or wait argument has kept me up the past few nights and it isn't worth the worry. I am going to try my best to take this advice, but we'll have to see how that goes...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger ScienceGirl said...

I have a tough time trying not to worry as well; hope the anxiety eases up for you!

12:15 PM  
Blogger DancingFish said...

Thanks sciencegirl!

geeka: Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about those in between steps like visiting =)

4:53 PM  
Blogger Mad Hatter said...

I would definitely apply now. I agree with Geeka that if they really want you, they will try hard to make the timing work out.

But there are other reasons too. Open positions that you would love will come and go from the market for no logical reason and in no discernible pattern, so don't pass up this chance! Also, even if you can't work out the timing now, you will have effectively gotten your foot in the door and made some useful connections. Who knows, maybe those people will even keep you specifically in mind for future openings.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home