sally header2

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lonely lab

My advisor and lab mates are all gone for 3 weeks of field work. This would be awesome for labwork, if I had any to do. Instead, I am enjoying computer analyses, writing and reading. I thought this time would be super productive with all the peace and quiet, however, it really has been about the same but with different, nice weather related distractions. The Chronicle recently had an article about what it looks like to work. If you were to watch me work this week, it would be pretty pathetic. My computer and I are morphing into one and when not staring at the screen, I find myself staring out the window. Despite this unmoving display, I have re-analysed data, found about 100 relevant papers and most importantly-- done a lot of thinking.
Luckily, I am not too bothered by my lack of outward progress because....
I get to go into the field this weekend!!!!!!

Are you convinced that I am excited about that? Ugh. The main reasons I am soooo not excited about this trip: 1) Don't know if my methods will work. 2) Have to try to do experiments with no assistance which is going to be hard. 3) Camping alone for 2 weeks in temps that range from 98-102. 4) I really wish that I wasn't doing this replacement chapter in the first place.

I know it is time to suck it up and get down to work, I'm just having a hard time doing it. Usually I love field work, but this trip feels like a chore. Luckily, V is being very good about reiterating that being upset about it will do no good and it is getting close enough that I am past being too whiny about it*.

So far, reading other, similar studies has been helpful in getting in the right mindset and focusing on organizing the details has kept me moving forward. How do you get yourself psyched to do things you have to (but don't want to) do?






*My friends and family are awesome. I whine a lot. They listen AND even still like me despite it. Love them!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

Sometimes it helps just to remind myself that the work won't go anywhere if I put it off or feel bad about it. If I don't do it today, it will still be waiting for me tomorrow. Sorry that's not really positive motivation.

8:19 PM  
Blogger hamster_grrl said...

I understand completely. While I do really want to see how my data turns out, I often have trouble getting excited about sitting in front of the microscope counting little black spots. I remind myself that the more I get done today, the less I have to do tomorrow.

Then, once I get started, my motivation starts to return and its not so bad after all.

I am sure that your time in the field will indeed be well spent! Stay safe and I will miss you!

9:35 PM  
Blogger ScienceGirl said...

I guess that means you will be in the place we could cross paths some day. I have a few trips coming up to other locations though, so I won't be there. I hope you stay hydrated, and that you methods work as planned!

4:23 PM  
Blogger DancingFish said...

EGF- but even negative motivation can work. It is still motivation nonetheless!

Hamster grrl- thanks dude! see you soon!

sciencegirl- I will be! It was so last minute, I hardly had any notice. Maybe next time! I hope your trips go well and thanks for the advice!

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home