sally header2

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Smile like you mean it

Dear lady at the place I sometimes stop for coffee,

I appreciate that you held the door for me. That was nice of you. But then did you really need to call me 'sweetheart', and tell me to cheer up and smile? Is my lack of smiling really bothering you? If I smile will your day just be brightened so much that the planets will spontaneously align, wars will cease and diseases will be cured. I didn't think so.

I don't mean to take out all this aggression on you door lady but people have been telling me to smile for years. There was the professor in the hall about a month ago, the man on the street outside an art gallery in Key West 5 years ago, and countless others.

I feel no need to smile for no reason. Actually, I am wary of people who do- they might be crazy. Although I am generally pretty happy. Next time though, door lady, you can explain to me what is so great about the coffee stop that I should be overcome with joy. I do love their breakfast sandwiches and donuts are pretty great but I am trying to slim down for my wedding. Until then, I guess I just don't smile when I am thinking about writing, window shopping by myself, or when it is 8am and I am stopping to get coffee at a convieniance store.

Flowers and sausages,
DancingFish

1 Comments:

Blogger hamster_grrl said...

Maybe the world is full of teeth fetishists, and they get their rocks off by having people smile (because, seriously, it's not REALLY a smile unless there are teeth showing).

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home